Just a list to end a year in which I'm still learning things I wish I already knew.
1) All relationships are best depicted by a venn diagram.
2) "You're either with me or you're against me" is a very combative way to approach the world.
3) Reducing the world to black and white works well for people who lack the intellectual or emotional bandwidth to otherwise negotiate the complexity of the human condition. And also, they're morons.
5) Telling me that I "just have to see it your way" is not entirely true. I actually don't have to see it your way. Ever. (but I'll still try).
6) Trying to strengthen a relationship by uniting against a common enemy only works when the enemy cooperates. Don't cooperate.
7) Some people disguise alliance-building as friendship. That hurts. Walk away.
8) You're never going to do it all right all of the time.
9) You should still always try.
10) This too shall pass.
"they say the owl was a baker's daughter. lord, we know what we are, but know not what we may be." (Hamlet, Act IV, Scene 5)
Subscribe in a reader
- ▼ December (4)
- ► 2011 (13)